Thursday, February 17, 2011

Words of the Day XV

Mad Bleep Bloop

Today, I woke up and still felt like I was stoned. I slept maybe 5 hours, and felt like I was as thick as pigshit all day, until a few hours ago anyway, and now I just feel tired.


Japanese Word of the Day is:
切腹
                                          Seppuku

English Word of the Day is:  Defenestrate


Seppuku or harakiri is that famous method of suicide so culturally tied to the Japanese and their sense of honour. Seppuku is the On-yomi, or chinese reading of the kanji, and harakiri is the kun-yomi, or Japanese reading of the kanji. To clarify, seppuku and harakiri are exactly the same thing, but seppuku is the more formal tone, as it uses the Chinese pronunciation. This appears to be standard in Japanese historical documents, that the Chinese is considered more learned.


Defenestrate is the classy word for someone being thrown out a window. According to wiki, the median dosage of fatality for defenestration is 5 stories. Throwing yourself out of a window is called auto-defenestration. Intense!



Seppuku in a sentence: 
切腹しよ!

Guys, lets ritually disembowel ourselves!
  



Well, that's about it for me today. Tell me in the comment section if you have ever been thrown out a window!

28 comments:

  1. Lol, I know of Seppuku, but I always pronounced it "Sem-Pu-Ku" instead -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case of emergency; commit seppuku

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i dont wake and bake, I want to commit seppuku. http://hardupgamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked this blog, when I read it I laugh so much I seppuku.

    Amidoinrite? I can't wait to copy/pasta those characters to FB lolol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Defenestrate is one of my favorite words of all time. It is the coolest sounding word for one of the most oddly specific actions out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully I have not Autofenestrated :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've taken Japanese classes. Very. Difficult. Also, I wonder how japanese feel about seppuku becoming a kind of joke?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great Japanese word. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha thanks for sharing! nice blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved the word defenestrate - thank you for sharing it with the world!

    howtohackyourlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seppuku is one of the few Japanese words I know. I need to learn stuff more...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been thrown out one yet, but its early

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seppuku sounds too nice for suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i didnt know there was a word for someone getting thrown out of a window lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice, i love the concept of learning one word a day.
    That will significally improve my japanese.
    Keep up !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope I don't need that kind of information in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent choices! You just picked my favorite Japanese and English word at the same time xD

    ReplyDelete
  18. No I haven't but I've thrown someone out of the window (at a party)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I've learnt a new word today !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice words, will try them in a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. do u have any painless , less gross after death version of suicide other than throwing yourselves through windows?

    ReplyDelete
  22. great blog loving these words ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seppuku huh? very interesting, very keen to learn Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  24. seems like whenever i blaze before i go to sleep, i still feel stoned when i wake up. i know it's not physically accurate, but w/e

    ReplyDelete