Sunday, February 13, 2011

Words of the Day XII

Dessert is on you.

Today, I woke up and it was Saint Valentines day. Naturally, the responsible thing to do is to go ahead and talk about White Day in Japan and Korea, what it is and how it came about. Fuck that. Today, we talk about.


Japanese Word of the Day is: 歩き出す

                                         Arukidasu

English Word of the Day is:  Solitude


Arukidasu is a combination of two verbs, aruku and dasu. It means to step out for a walk. It seems particularly poetic to me as, like in English, the more complex language is more delicate than the plain. It's very nice.
Trust me.

Solitude means utterly alone. Solitude, and solitary have punitive connotations to them, as in, solitary confinement, and, he was left alone in solitude. Being alone sucks, as people are social by nature. It is interesting that today, and other holidays where the media stresses the natural call to camaraderie, that is is most stingingly bitter to be so hopelessly alone...




Arukidasu in a sentence: 
今晩にきれいなかのじょと歩き出すつもりだ
                              
Tonight, I intend to step out for a bit with a pretty young thing.*



*I may be lying.


Well, that's about it for me today. Tell me in the comment section if you're alone or not today.

25 comments:

  1. I lol'ed hard at the pics. "I will tear you a second cunt with my thorny cock" lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture Lol I can't help but laugh. I like how your words completely clash.
    Solitude and stepping out for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, you have a rather light attitude to valentine's day, even though Hallmark is the only company that cares about the day the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had a Valentine. I'm going to have a nice day anyways. Grab some good food, watch a good movie, arukidasu,...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm single this year, and was last year too. But it;s no big deal for me =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That comic made me lol. Speaking of solitude, I- *weeps*.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pics!!
    http://le-nerd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great words to post on Valentines :|

    ReplyDelete
  9. im actually curious, what is white day in japan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I intend to stay in tonight with a pretty young thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Singles Discrimination Day

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's no way to write a card, Bowser.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, the Word of the Day is back and there is also an awesome picture included.

    ReplyDelete
  14. now I can learn another language

    ReplyDelete
  15. Solitude. Seems fitting for my valentines day =/

    ReplyDelete
  16. after 20years it doesnt really matter to me anymore im over it thats a really funny cartoon skit

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not alone, fortunately. Maybe next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete