Monday, January 24, 2011

Words of the Day!

After looking around a few blogs and seeing what's on offer, I've decided to, for at least today, make a 'Word of the Day' posting. Hopefully, I'll have a word in Japanese and a Related word in English. Sometimes the same, sometimes not. Then a question for my beloved readers. So, without further ado:


Japanese Word of the Day is:   むらさき
                                                 Murasaki 

English Word of the Day is:     Pigment



Murasaki is the Japanese word for purple. It is a general term for purple/violet as far as I can gather, and it also can refer to a Japanese plant with purple flowers as well. Purple is my favourite colour, and therefore an easy choice for my first Japanese Word of the Day.

Now, as you all definitely know what purple is, let's try something related, but less common. A pigment is a dye or paint used to colour things, or, when referring to the pigment or pigmentation of things, can be used to describe the hues and visual effect of the object in question somewhat more elegantly than saying, "it is purple," for example, "the pigmentation was purple," just like the prose.

Murasaki in a sentence:  私の好きな色がむらさきです。
                                     Watashi no sukina iro ga murasaki desu.
                                      My favourite colour is purple.

Well, thats about it for me today. Tell me in the comment section what your favourite colour is!

 [Edit] Just as an extra aside, remember that if your blog isn't in your profile, and you haven't commented it to me, I can't actually return the favour and support you as well. If you've already let me know on my first post, then we're already all good. -Juan

18 comments:

  1. i really like your blog its "refreshing"





    http://joeymax-stayathomedad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like todays english word of the day.
    http://wifihighfive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog! keep it up :)

    Following and supporting

    http://blazaimagenes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. my fav colour is purple too :D

    http://yinniegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. followed bro...return the favour..
    thefitmuscle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog looking forward to more posts!

    your friend,
    ectomorphmuscle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't actually have a favourite colour, i always warm to a different colour depending on how i feel. today it's red-pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a pretty unique idea, not seen any word of the day things that have multiple languages. I like how you have example sentances, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. following back

    hazdbot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love green a lot? whats the japanese word for green?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't see how Japanese words are eligible haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. purple, subbed and followed

    http://firstgamingnews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pigment, teehee. What a random word.

    forkfantasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, great blog! its intriguing to me what words are in other languages.

    http://avividmemory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Following. Support.
    evanztories.blogspot.com
    ducks2nucks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete